viernes, 27 de agosto de 2021

LGBT in Afghanistan

LGBT in Afghanistan

Before the Taliban uprising in Afghanistan, life for gay man Abdul (his name has been changed) was already dangerous.

If he'd spoken about his sexuality to the wrong person then, Abdul could have been arrested and taken to court for his sexuality, under Afghan laws.

But since the Taliban seized control of major cities in Afghanistan last week, Abdul tells Radio 1 Newsbeat his sexuality being revealed would now have him "killed on the spot".

The Taliban are a military group who have taken control of the country, and are known to enforce extreme Islamic ideals.

Under the Taliban's interpretation of Sharia Law, homosexuality is strictly prohibited and punishable by death.

The last time they were in power in Afghanistan, between the late 90s and 2001, 21-year-old Abdul hadn't been born.

"I've heard my parents and elders talk about the Taliban," he says.

"We watched some movies. But now, it's like being inside a movie."

"Even when I see the Taliban from the windows I feel really scared. My body starts shaking from seeing them," he says.

"Civilians are being killed. I don't think I will ever speak in front of them."

It's not just the country's new leaders who cannot find out about Abdul's sexuality.

He says: "As a gay person in Afghanistan, you cannot reveal yourself, even to your family or your friends.

"If I reveal myself to my family, maybe they will beat me, maybe they will kill me."

SER GAY EN AFGANISTAN

Antes del levantamiento de los talibanes en Afganistán, la vida del homosexual Abdul (su nombre ha sido cambiado) ya era peligrosa.

Si hubiera hablado de su sexualidad con la persona equivocada, Abdul podría haber sido arrestado y llevado a los tribunales por su sexualidad, según las leyes afganas.

Pero desde que los talibanes tomaron el control de las principales ciudades de Afganistán la semana pasada, Abdul le dijo a Radio 1 Newsbeat que si se revelara su sexualidad, ahora sería "asesinado en el acto".

Los talibanes son un grupo militar que ha tomado el control del país y son conocidos por hacer cumplir los ideales islámicos extremos.

Según la interpretación de la ley islámica de los talibanes, la homosexualidad está estrictamente prohibida y se castiga con la muerte.

La última vez que estuvieron en el poder en Afganistán, entre finales de los 90 y 2001, Abdul, de 21 años, no había nacido.

"Escuché a mis padres y ancianos hablar sobre los talibanes", dice.

"Vimos algunas películas. Pero ahora, es como estar dentro de una película".

"Incluso cuando veo a los talibanes desde las ventanas, me da mucho miedo. Mi cuerpo comienza a temblar al verlos", dice.

"Se está matando a civiles. No creo que jamás hablaré frente a ellos".

No son solo los nuevos líderes del país los que no pueden descubrir la sexualidad de Abdul.

Dice: "Como persona gay en Afganistán, no puedes revelarte, ni siquiera a tu familia o amigos.

"Si me revelo a mi familia, tal vez me golpeen, tal vez me maten".

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario